On 10/27/19 10:34 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 03:36:00PM +1100, Adam Carter wrote
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

   I went 41 days without emerging (yeah, I know).  Anyhow, emerge first
wants me to update portage, but I run into problems.  Can I safely
unmerge gentoolkit and re-emerge it afterwards?

Its not part of @system, so should be fine.

   Thanks.  I unmerged gentoolkit (0.4.6), updated portage, and
re-emerged gentoolkit (0.4.6).  Wierd that it comes back with the same
version, but portage can't be updated when it's present.

Whenever i'm not sure I just quickpkg first so get it back with tar
if need be.

   That prompted me to dig deeper.  According to
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/System_set_%28Portage%29 you can gat a
listing of the system set with either of...

emerge --pretend @system

eix -c --system

You need to merge them together: `emerge -au1 gentoolkit portage`. Then the error doesn't happen.

Dan