On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 02:21:18 -0500,
Andrew Udvare wrote:

> [1  <multipart/mixed (7bit)>]
> On 02/11/2019 01:36, John Covici wrote:
> > Hi.  Well, I was finally able to do the change of profile tothe 17.1
> > profile.  I have gotten all  the way almost to the end of this process
> > to the final step where itwantsto emerge all the 32-bit packages.  I
> > am about two from the end of that list and trying to emerge
> > x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.32-r1  andI have run into this problem:
> >
> > libtool: link: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -mtune=core2 -pipe -ggdb
> > -Wall -Wl,-O1 -o decompose-bits decompose-bits.o  -Wl,--as-needed
> > /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0
> > -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
> > /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.3.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
> > /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so: error adding symbols: file in wrong format
> > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> > Now, I re-emerged dev-libs/atk which contains the offending
> > library, but no joy.  the gtk package is pulled in by   several other
> > packages, so I cannot remove it.
>
> If you re-emerged atk successfully, then the gtk linking stage should
> not fail with the same error as /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so should now be in
> the correct format (32-bit instead of 64-bit).
>

> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions asto howto proceed.
> >

> You have to pull in some packages in a very specific order.
>
> With KDE we have a sort of circular dependency on freetype[harfbuzz],
> because harfbuzz itself depends on freetype. For this reason I had to do
> the following:
>
> env USE=-harfbuzz emerge -1 freetype
> emerge -1 harfbuzz
> emerge -1 freetype
>
> There is currently no way for Portage to do this automatically.
>
> Your issue sounds similar and I would suggest emerging offending
> packages separately before continuing the rebuild process for /lib32,
> etc. The order is going to depend on other packages you have installed.
>
> As soon as one of these special packages errors, you need to check the
> build log. Most likely it was during the configure stage where a
> dependency is not being found in /lib because it has not been built yet.
> Build that dependency with --oneshot and try again with the failing
> package after.

Thanks for your response.  I am pretty sure it has something to do
with the accessibility infrastructure,  I tried emerging those
separately, but no joy on doing that.  I will look and see if there
are any other dependencies, but this was at the very end of the list
and all others were successful. Very strange, indeed.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         cov...@ccs.covici.com