On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 5:38 AM Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 09/11/19 19:51, Rich Freeman wrote:
> >
> > Only if somebody has created a generator for openrc, which I doubt.
> > It was obviously a semi-trollish comment.
> >
> Now that's harsh! Although yes I'm sure he was tweaking tails - hence
> the "tongue in cheek" smiley.

I didn't intend to suggest that I thought it was mean-spirited.  Just
stirring the pot.

> Fact is, there are a lot of people out there who hate systemd because
> it's been successful, and it's been successful because it sticks to the
> nix philosophy of "do one thing, and do it well".

Now, THAT is a semi-trollish comment if I ever saw one.  :)

That said, you could argue that the individual components of systemd
do generally do one thing well.  I think the criticism is more in the
packaging, and that the components mostly don't interchange with
anything non-systemd.  Though as we can see from eudev/elogind and so
on that isn't strictly the case.

I sometimes describe systemd as the anti-busybox.

But, I don't want to derail the thread entirely...

--
Rich