Is it possible to start firefox as a daemon, ie. without opening any
windows, and later connect to it as needed to display URLs?  I have in
mind something similar to "emacs --daemon".

I had some hopes for "firefox --headless" but that doesn't do what I
want: later "firefox $URL" will not connect to the running one but will
start a new instance.