For my ssh keys that require passphrases, I use ssh-agent to cache the
decrypted key so I don't have to type the passphrase every time.  Until
yesterday there was only one such key; last night I added a new one
[1].  And, being the lazy thinker I am, I used the same passphrase as
for the old one.

Now, I find that when I run ssh-add to tell ssh-agent about my keys,
_both_ are added to the session after asking me the passphrase only
once!  This can only be secure and correct if the agent somehow compares
the passphrases and knows they are the same; even then, it is _very_
surprising.  Have you seen this and how do you explain it?

[1]
It was necessary to create a new rsa type key because of a stupid server
which doesn't understand ecdsa keys.