On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 10:43:36 -0500, John Blinka wrote:

> > > Couldn't you just have a script that "emerge --update"s each
> > > package in sequence? If the package isn't due for update nothing
> > > will happen. And then you could follow that with an "emerge world"
> > > knowing that your hogs are already done.
> >
> > Sometimes the packages are rebuilt without an update, especially if
> > you use --changed-use or --changed-deps, so it's not quite that
> > simple.
>

> But still pretty simple.  I’ve just used the “build in sequence” idea
> for an update that forced a libreoffice rebuild.  It first upgraded a
> few of libreoffice’s dependencies in parallel, and then rebuilt
> libreoffice by itself afterwards. A subsequent emerge @world upgraded a
> bunch of minor kde stuff.  I like this idea - seems to isolate the
> “hogs” so they build one at a time, and it does so without any
> intervention on my part.  Thanks!

But if you emerge --update libreoffice before the package that is forcing
the rebuild, why would libreoffice rebuild? I would expect it to only
rebuild libreoffice after the dependency had been changed.

I'm not saying out wouldn't work some of the time, but I can see
situations where it wouldn't. Whereas

emerge --opts @world --exclude memory-hogs...
emerge --opts --jobs 1 @world

should always isolate them.

--
Neil Bothwick

Hello, this is an extension to the famous signature virus, called spymail.
Could you please copy me into your signature and send back what you were
doing last night between 10pm and 3am?