I have installed Gentoo on my second desktop computer
with Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard, AMD
Phenome II X4 945 processor, and AMD/ATI Radion
HD 4770 video card. However, currently I have only
the command line: startx fails to start X11 reporting
the following error:
(II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
(EE) Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found (EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Bad file descriptor.
and this is despite of the fact that I configured 4.19.86
gentoo kernel following instructions from
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
and
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon#Feature_support
Namely, I set
EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR = /lib/firmware
EXTRA_FIRMWARE = radeon/R700_rlc.bin, RV740_smc.bin, and RV710_uvd.bin
DRM = y and DRM_RADEON = y as described in the second link above.
(I have tried several variations but always got the above
error message after startx.)