Hello everyone,

found a partial solution. The problem is somehow related to the locales.

I did the following:

* Go to Preferences / Advanced
* In the Select Box for the language choose English (United States) and
  ensure that it is one top of the list
* Ensure that Regional settings locale is selected for Date and Time
  Formatting
* Restart Thunderbird

After doing the Thunderbird UI will be in English, but the date picker
will work again.

The question now is: Is this an upstream bug or is a bug in the EBuild?
Or something in the configuration of my system?

Best

Jens