On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 7:57 PM William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> 2 ~ # lxc-attach -n mail -- bash -c "df -h"
> none                            492K  320K  172K  66% /dev
> du and ls -al do not give any clues, the host /dev is normal and all
> running lxc instances do it, but at different rates

Are you running ls -al from INSIDE the container?  If you're running
it on the host you won't see anything because it is almost certainly
in a separate mount namespace, and so it is invisible from the host.
In particular, any files you see in rootdir/dev from the host are NOT
visible in the container, and vice-versa.

I don't use lxc, but if I had to take a wild guess your /dev isn't
being properly initialized inside, and some typical device node is
being created as a regular file and stuff like "echo foo > /dev/null"
is actually writing to a real file there, filling up the tmpfs.

Try:
lxc-attach -n mail -- bash -c "ls -l --recursive /dev"

Or launch an interactive shell inside the container and just poke
around in there.  I have no idea what the "lxc way" to launch a shell
is, but you can always use:
nsenter --target <pid> --all /bin/bash
(where <pid> is the pid on the host of a process inside the container)

nsenter is part of util-linux

--
Rich