William Kenworthy wrote:
> On 29/2/20 11:31 pm, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:17 AM Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, I'm aware linux does VLANs... I set up netifrc to do this (I
>>> already have some "smart" switches set up - not full layer 3.) I thought
>>> about running containers but if I ever have to do something like
>>> emergency maintenance on my server the whole LAN would be down. Seems
>>> like a no-brainer to have a tiny device like an RPi to do this.
>> Yup.  It really depends on your requirements.
>>
>> My main LAN uses a Pi as a DHCP+DNS server, for exactly this reason.
>> I don't want to be replacing a hard drive in my server and now my
>> lights/TV/whatever don't work.  OpenHab runs on a Pi for this reason
>> as well.
> Keep in mind that rpi are not the only cheap, capable arm hardware out
> there.
>
> I am using a number of odroid devices, including an N2 with a gentoo
> based kernel and a gentoo aarch64 userland.  Its used for lxc containers
> for asterisk, dns, webdav, mail, calendaring and web running on the N2
> backed by an Odroid HC2 moosefs cluster (though I am using an intel
> powered Odroid H2 for the master).
>
> Its all working rather well now the initial install/config stages are
> over.  Part of the gain over the pi's is the use of eMMC storage over
> sdcards - almost 5 times faster in my tests.  The 4G of ram has proven
> quite adequate so far - even the asterisk latency is better than my
> previous QEMU/KVM on intel setup.
>
> I have currently have rpi 1B, 3B and a zero and while the specs for the
> rpi4 are better ... its not the best out there.
>
> BillK

Could you share some links to some of these things?  As I mentioned
earlier, I'm thinking about building a NAS system.  Later, I may build a
mythTV system.  Then I can access the NAS from it or my desktop, or cell
phone now that I am somewhat more updated, past the Motorola Razr stage.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)