After a hiatus I am trying to create my own ebuild repository again.  I
need a way to test the separate steps (fetch, prepare, comiple, install
etc.) and I would like to do all of them as a regular user (not root,
not portage).  I tried what I thought was the most natural attempt - run
the ebuild program under fakeroot, but it still breaks trying to change
permissions of things in PORTAGE_TMPDIR (of course override the value of
this variable).  I don't understand this - it looks just like what
fakeroot was intended to help with?  Anyway, I'm not married to fakeroot,
just looking for a way to do these test runs.

I remember that I could do this the first time, a couple of years ago.
But I don't remember how :-(

--
Ian