On 21/3/20 9:06 pm, Dale wrote:
William Kenworthy wrote:
I have an encrypted usb thumb drive I use to transfer files from work
(Win10) to home (gentoo) - the encryption and access is via a program
that is stored and executed from the thumb drive.

Some time back, it became impossible to execute files stored on the
thumb drive.  I found I could get it to work if it was mounted within
the users home directory.  Since the last round of updates that has
become broken as well.

I presume the culprit is something in eudev/udisks/polkit/elogind
(this is an openrc system)

Can someone point me to a guide on how to set up executing files from
a usb thumb drive on gentoo?

Thanks,

BillK.

Mind if I'm nosy for a minute.  I'd like to store files on a USB stick
that are encrypted as well.  However, I'd like it to be able to work no
matter what OS is used.  I googled but thought it was not possible.  You
seem to have found a way to do this, broken at the moment but there's hope.

Would you share what you are using?  Links maybe??

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Look at http://www.withopf.com/tools/securstick/.

Its mounted as a webdav share.  It does limit the windows side to files ~35mb or so ( an MS limitation)

The windows side is seamless, linux is clunky

You put a linux and windows executable on the thumb drive and execute the one needed - a login screen appears within your browser.

I just found that exec with the home directory still works ... but only if in a terminal, cant click on it using a file manager.

BillK