On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 02:42:48PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> What application would people recommed to add some simple annotations
> to image files?  For example, I'd like to add a few arrows, some text,
> and maybe a box or oval or two.  I sometimes do stuff like that from
> the command line using ImageMagick's "convert", but drawing arrows
> with that is pretty painful.
>
> I found x11-misc/shutter, which I think can do it, though I don't need
> the screenshot capability.  However, shutter pulls in 50+ other
> packages as dependencies (including a load of gnome stuff) that I
> don't really want.
>
> Are there any other options?  I could probably figure out how to do it
> in LibreOffice draw, but that seems suboptimal.
>
> --
> Grant

If your original images are screenshots, I'd recommend 'flameshot'.
Unfortunately, it requires Qt, but you've likely already got that if you run a
G.U.I.-based configuration. Aside from that, it can do everything you ask:
interactive drawing of text, arrows, shapes, etc.

https://github.com/lupoDharkael/flameshot

It's not currently in Portage, but can be found in a number of popular
'layman' overlays:
https://gpo.zugaina.org/media-gfx/flameshot

--

Ashley Dixon