On 04/05 07:22, Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 April 2020 18:54:25 BST tu...@posteo.de wrote:

> > > Just my 2 cents...
> > >
> > > If the SSD cannot survive having data copied to it there's something
> > > seriously wrong with the drive. I don't think you should be overly worried
> > > about this but I do understand it's new technology so you want to be
> > > careful. Bravo for that.
> > >
> > > Possibly to ease your concerns a little bit use smartctl -a /dev/SSD and
> > > get to know your drive that way. You can most likely watch the drive temp
> > > as recorded by the drive.
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > > Mark
> >
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Yes, if a SSD could not survive writes, something is wrong with the
> > SSD. But that was not my point.
> > Copying about 100GB (roughly guessed) data in one go to the SSD is a
> > use case, which is not common. And therefore possibly not taken into
> > account by the company, which create that SSD.
> > SSDs can create noticeable heat (mine has a minimalistic heat
> > spreader therefore. Faster SSDs come with a substancial heatspreader).
> >
> > Smartctl will report problems when they are already there.
> > I want to prevent problems beforehand.
> >
> > So -- does copying about 100 GB creates so much heat in the sillicone
> > of the SSD, that it ages more than preferred?
> >
> > And if so, how can I prevent it by appluing other techniques to copy
> > the data?
> > See additional questions in my initial posting for that.
>
> With rsync you could add the option:
>
> --bwlimit=RATE          limit socket I/O bandwidth
>
> and select a low enough bandwidth limit to keep the packets flowing at a low
> rate to remain cool enough for your liking.
>
> However, I'll echo what other have said about not worrying about these
> things.
> The OEMs must run some rudimentary tests to establish performance envelopes
> and keep everything tuned just so.
>
> Nevertheless, if you do not trust them to produce the best quality products,
> then we share something in common!  LOL!
>
> In this case, you may want to open the PC case and use a desktop fan to keep
> the interior of the case even cooler than usual, during your copying process.

That one is nice! Thanks a lot for that...

And yes, Michael, same here. I am not veru convinced, that everything
is well tested and tested for all use cases...

The fan is a nice idea also - these real world solytion does not pop
up in my head easily...they are kind of too real ;)
I will use a fan, if smartctl i.e. will report high temperatures...

Cheers!
Meino