On 2020-04-22 오전 6:40, Ashley Dixon wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 06:18:59AM +0900, WooHyung Jeon wrote:
First, how much different between the gentoo-kernel-bin's '.config', and
gentoo-kernel's '.config'? I mean, is it quite similarly big to cover most
of the normal devices?

gentoo-kernel and gentoo-kernel-bin are the same thing underneath; the latter is
just a binary distribution of the former. To see the many other packages that do
this, run `EIX_LIMIT=0 eix *-bin | less`.  I elaborate on  this  in  an  earlier
message in this thread.

Second, how about adding these simple description in the handbook, in the
section 'Configuring the Linux kernel'. Then, the new-comers can read and
understand the differences and can choose what fits for them.

gentoo-kernel isn't under the management of the Gentoo Kernel Team [1].  As  the
quoted e-mail from M.  Pagano (a few messages ago, in this thread) states, it is
a non-official project designed to provide as wide coverage as possible.  As the
purpose of Gentoo is self-compilation and extreme customisability for the  gains
of speed and size, gentoo-kernel is unlikely to be wanted by those  looking  for
more control and freedom compared to other distros.

Why convolute the already-intimidating Handbook with  additional  choices,  when
one route (gentoo-sources) will almost-always be preferred ?  Although, I  agree
it should be  explained  somewhere  in  the  Wiki  (or  even  in  the  package's
descriptions),  just  not  on  the  Handbook   presented   to   all   newcomers.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Kernel

Thanks! I learned a lot again!

--
Regards,