On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 03:27:16PM -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:

> >   portage must be in C and statically linked.
>
> Seems to argue in favor of a statically-linked dynamic language: The
> runtime compiler can be static with install scripts being a bit more
> malleable.

The core of portage should be in C, imho. But it can be extendable
with hooks written in something simple like a bash.
It mustn't be a solid binary. It can be splitted into separate parts
with strict definitions of interaction and interface.

> Main issue I can see with C is that most people today don't know how
> to manage memory; not enough of us left who really understand how
> malloc works :-)

:-D This shouldn't be a problem, because developers of extension
modules/hooks(if they choose C for this) will use a something
like libportage with util and wrapper functions which will hide
all mallocs.

--
Олег Неманов (Oleg Nemanov)