On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:17:37 +0200
tu...@posteo.de wrote:

> On 04/29 06:05, jdm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just bought a RX 5600 XT and after a few issues with screen
> > freezing after kernel starts loading, resolved by compiling EFIFB
> > (no previous FB compiled in) the card has been working fine for 2
> > days booting normally. The machine then started not to boot, not
> > even to get to BIOS (so you couldn't even press DEL to get to BIOS
> > screen). I took the card out and replaced with old card and PC
> > started fine. I tried this 4 times and still with new card PC would
> > not even POST. I don't have a little speaker to here if there are
> > any beeps.
> >
> > I am returning the card as it feels like that is the problem but
> > have a nagging suspicion this could be some other problem like
> > power supply. I have 700W coolermaster PSU which should be ample
> > (according to websites) but is 9 years (amazingly they had the
> > foresight to provide 8 and 6 pin cables which were both plugged in).
> >
> > My next issue is do I get another 5600 XT (different brand) or are
> > nvidia equivalent better? I have always been an AMD fan. Could I
> > end up in the same boat.
> >
> > PC spec - ASUS 470 Pro MB with 2700 Ryzen.
> >
> > Any advice would be much appreciated?
> >
> > John
> >

> Hi John,
>
> what graphicscard you want depends heavily on what you want to
> do with your PC...
> What are the tasks, which put a heavy load on your PC/graphicscard and
> which you are do regularily?
> Do you do a lot of rendering (Blender for example) or video
> (re-)encoding? Do you AI related things (tesorflow for example)?
> Or is gaming you main application?
>
> Furthermore: You CPU must fit your graphicscard performancewise.
> It makes no sense to choose "a performance beast" and to combine
> it with a "entry level being".
> The fastest graphicscard can onlu as fast, as data are coming from
> the CPU and vice versa.
>
> On the internet you find a combination of the Ryzen 5 3600 with
> one of the nvidia RTX 20[678] SUPER cards. The RTX 2060 SUPER
> comes with 8GByte of video ram instead of 6 GBYte of the RTX 2060.
>
> "Linus Tech Tipps" and "Tom's Hardware" are probablu to look for.
>
> HTH!
>
> Cheers!
> Meino

Thanks for advice.

I like playing games and noticed with current card that FPS is low on a
lot of games.
I have tried to get a balance between not paying too much and specs of
monitor (2560x1440 @60 fps). According to GPU check I should get max of
80 fps @ 1440. So thought I would have some left in the bank with 5600
XT.

I'll check CPU to GPU rate.

There's too much choice and now a little worried that next card might
not work again.

John