On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 12:33 AM Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 20:37:23 BST Michael wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 16:24:31 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
>
> > > Have I to go the PulseAudio route after all?
> >
> > You do not *have to*, but if you find the PulseAudio server and
associated
> > GUI/CLI tools are convenient for you, then you can set up
USE=pulseaudio and
> > use that to mix your sound sinks and sources devices with.
> >
> > As Canek has already posted in most cases it just works.  However, I
must
> > confess I had a spate of pa processes racing up to 100% CPU and
annoyingly
> > respawning each time I tried to kill it.  An update eventually fixed
this
> > problem and it worked fine ever since.
>
> Well, after setting USE=pulseaudio and emerging uaDvN @world, sound has
> reappeared. I haven't tried multiple sources yet, but - one thing at a
time.
> Web-cam next, in between recommissioning other boxes with my new
display-port
> KVM. I'm getting too old and stiff for this.  :(

I'm glad you made forward progress!

QUESTION: I'm curious as to whether your Gentoo and my Kubuntu
systemsettings are more similar. Did adding the pulseaudio flag create the
Sound->Multimedia section with an 'Audio volume' area? If so that area, if
working like mine, would show where you can send sound, allow you to
enable/disable individual devices and set relative volumes, etc. Also, did
it build pavucontrol or some version of it? If so that app is almost
identical to my Multimedia section but adds VU meters so you can watch
multiple apps generating audio, etc. I find it helpful when things don't go
exactly as I expected.

Cheers,
Mark