On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:02 PM Raphael MD <raph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> now suffering with python 3.6/3.8 dependency mess.

On anything but a simple system it seems very difficult to deal with
the python update without overriding the python flags on at least some
packages.

I recommend maintaining these in a separate config file to make it
easier to clean these changes up eventually.

Following the news item and enabling 3.6 and 3.7 in the interim is
probably your best course of action to minimize the amount of
micromangement.

You shouldn't see much asking for 3.8 just yet, at least not when
using stable keywords.  If you're using testing keywords, well, thanks
for testing, and you can see why they call it that.

In a few weeks I think it will settle down, and it isn't quite as bad
if you're updating daily/weekly since the number of changes is more
moderate.

Much of the problem stems from the fact that we're trying to rapidly
get up to date on python.  That means that various packages are in
various states of support for various versions of python.  Also,
default settings for building python were changed before all the
packages supporting them were stabilized.  I can't really speak for
those doing that but I suspect it is in part to avoid having to wait
for bugs for all the impacted packages to get resolved, or to obtain
permission to force them to be removed.

--
Rich