No easy fix: I wrote a script that checks my ISP's front page using
"GET" every 30 seconds.  When an error occurs, it starts checking the
dhcp assigned via the adsl modem IP address every 5 seconds until it
gets a valid address so it can restart apache, update dyndns, checking
that dhcp hasnt gone wheels up and so on.

The reason to use GET is that itself has not proven very reliable in
picking up that something has changed so dhcp itself needs checking.

Its proven quite a reliable method over time, and the short break in
service is tolerable (and very rarely noticed) for my usage.

BillK