Thanks to the suggestions I got from the list, I was able to update QT
as follows:

emerge -vu dev-qt/qtgui dev-qt/qtx11extras dev-qt/qtopengl
dev-qt/qtprintsupport dev-qt/qtwidgets dev-qt/qtxml
dev-qt/linguist-tools dev-qt/qtnetwork dev-qt/qtsvg dev-qt/qtcore

and complete the installation of telegram-desktop.  Thanks to all.