On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 09:06:16AM -0400, james wrote:
> After thumping all teh cups codes, it works again, but some office files
> from a pc that were originated in europe, cause the print to hickup. The hp
> printer complained about version 1.... version 2 on the tiny hp display.
> Rebooted several times and all my linux printing started working again. I
> have the original hp firmware (10 years old). I do not trust the updated hp
> firmwares, for several reason....

H.P.\ software is just horrible in general.  They are one of  "those"  companies
that treat Linux users as second-class citizens.  The ppd files they  distribute
are full of bugs; I remember spending multiple weeks fixing the description file
for their then-newest home printer, and I still never got  the  scanner  working
(their own software segfaulted, and customer support told me to download Windows
as a fix).  After a while, I gave up and bought a Lexmark B2442  laser  printer,
since I only ever print text documents.  It has never  given  me  any  problems.
The `ppd` files work out  of  the  box.   Coming  from  H.P.,  it  is  a  lovely
experience.

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk