On 2020-06-07 20:33, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:
When I try to update @system after --sync-ing, I get a conflict on readline.

Bash wants readline 8.0 but the profile specifies readline 7.0 and lots of
other packages are linked against 7.0.  Just rebuilding those packages probably
won't help, because they don't know about readline 8.0.

Would the right thing, the easiest thing, be to define my own profile 17.1.1 or
something, where I specify readline 8.0 in the profile?
Why do you think that your profile specifies readline 7.0?  What
profile are you using?

    $ eselect profile show
    Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
      default/linux/amd64/17.1

     $ equery list \* | grep readline
     sys-libs/readline-7.0_p5-r1

But, given your answer about exclusivity/inclusivity in the other
thread, I guess this result is questionable...

As far as I'm aware no profile restricts readline versions.

What makes you think that those other packages "don't know about readline 8.0?"

The ebuild for bash-5.0_p17 has:

  READLINE_VER="8.0"

The ebuilds for other the other users don't, I believe.

Full command outputs along with emerge --info would probably help here.

Readline 8.0 is stable so few if any packages in the tree will have
problems with it.  If you're getting errors it is probably because
you're trying to do a limited update and not giving portage the option
to rebuild every impacted package.

The emerge that I used was this:

emerge -auDv --verbose-conflicts --changed-use --keep-going
--with-bdeps=y --changed-deps --backtrack=100 @system

However, I was just able to get it to build with this script:

$ cat update-readline
#!/usr/bin/env bash
emerge -uUv $(cat <<-eof
sys-libs/readline
dev-db/postgresql
sys-apps/gawk
net-wireless/wpa_supplicant
sys-fs/lvm2
dev-lang/python
dev-lang/lua
sci-visualization/gnuplot
dev-db/postgresql
app-text/hunspell
sys-fs/udftools
sys-block/parted
x11-wm/fvwm
net-misc/ntp
sys-devel/gdb
dev-db/postgresql
sys-libs/gdbm
net-mail/mailutils
app-misc/rlwrap
sys-devel/bc
dev-libs/libxml2
net-dns/bind-tools
eof
)

I have had mixed luck with putting all of the colliding packages on a
single emerge line - it worked this time.

I can supply the "emerge --info" but that /emerge/ above is still
working so I'll let it complete first.