On 10/06/20 06:47, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> nomodeset did not change anything, but adding EFI_FB to the kernel finally
> got me a functional console. But if I startx from there I am back again to
> the same point, no X, no console switching with CTR-ALT-Fn, no crash in
> syslog, I have to SSH to get to a working shell. I'm not getting anywhere, I
> think I'll better install from stage3.

Console switching is, iirc, a toggle-off-on feature. It might be toggled
off by default and starting X toggles it on, but it's not getting that
far ...

See if you can toggle it on at the console and then try startx.

Or is it possible you can't toggle buffers because it's booting with
only console enabled? That could also explain the X problem because it
hasn't got a buffer to switch to?

Hope this helps, although it probably won't ...

Cheers,
Wol