On 6/20/20 6:21 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 7:06 PM Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:

You just pointed out the ambiguity.

Emerging a package solely by its name worked 99.9% of the time before
this change.

Now new users get the fun of "Gee, which one is the one I actually
want?" MythTV is a fairly clear one to figure out, but other packages
aren't.

Honestly, your word of "ambiguity" was somewhat ambiguous.  I had no
idea what you were talking about in your original post.  :)

I think this is actually a fair criticism.  Not so much that it isn't
clear which one to install, but rather that this system does cause you
to have to use full cat/pkg atoms when previous pkg alone would have
worked.  There have always been packages where this is necessary, but
this has made this more common.

Yes, I could've worded that better.

I would imagine that if someone asks to install something like mythtv or asterisk there's a 0% chance that they want to install a package that creates a user or group, they want the actual package itself.

I think that makes more sense.

I've been using gentoo since 2003/04? and I've only had to use the cat/package expression maybe twice... and I believe those packages were python or perl related.

It's more of a usability issue than anything.

The way that it now deals with user and group creation is elegant, especially if you have more than one package that needs a specific user and/or group combination created. When I first saw portage spit out the ambiguity for the request `emerge mythtv` the first thing I thought was "Why would I need to merge a package to create a user? That's the package manager's problem..." :o)

Maybe when I have a moment I'll file a bug.

Dan