On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 03:13:55PM +0300, Alexey Mishustin wrote:
> пт, 10 июл. 2020 г. в 08:27, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>:
>
> >   2) When building xorg-server I got a news item about the "suid" flag
> > soon no longer being default for xorg-server.  I forced it manually on
> > my laptop and desktop.  The other 3 options were...
> >
> >   * systemd... no thanks.
> >   * elogind... with PAM doing the authentication... no thanks.  I've
> >     tangled with PAM in the past once too often.
> >   * some memory-heavy "desktop environment" on my 3-gigs-ram-laptop...
> >     no thanks.
>
> There is a way to run rootless X without elogind:
>
> For Nouveau and Intel video cards except xorg modesetting driver:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg
>
> For AMD video cards and/or xorg modesetting driver:
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1092792-start-0.html

There was some debate on Gentoo-Dev regarding this  a  while  ago  ([1]  is  the
discussion, and [2] is the final announcement).  It was suggested  in  [3]  that
disabling `suid` is a step forward, as running  X  as  root  is  "anti-pattern",
which is probably correct for most cases. Nonetheless, as you do not want to use
any of the proposed alternatives (XDM or `startx`  with  systemd/elogind),  just
re-enable `suid` and use X as it always has  been  used  in  the  past,  however
"anti-UNIX" that may be.

The other fundamental reason for this change was security.  As described by Dale
in [4], from a user's perspective, it should be a  reasonable  expectation  that
the defaults, especially for such a widely used package, are secure.

[1]
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/58660319f295f643ae89946d49e0156e
[2]
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/b44d49d7a92e01ce97338e9087ec9323