On 22 July 2020 10:43:39 CEST, "Gerrit Kühn" <gerrit.ku...@aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>Am Wed, 22 Jul 2020 10:13:22 +0200 (CEST)
>schrieb mad.scientist.at.la...@tutanota.com:
>
>> Are there any SAS drive controller cards that go in a PCI slot (Not
>PCI
>> express).  I suspect it's a silly question but I'd like to find one.
>
>I don't know any. But if you're /that/ desperate: there are adapters
>that
>connect low-profile PCIe cards to PCI slots. The following is just an
>example, there are certainly lots of manufacturers building stuff like
>that:
>https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-to-PCI-Express-Adapter-Card~PCI1PEX1
>
>Don't know if something like that would help you, though.
>

>cu
>  Gerrit

I doubt you'll get much bandwidth through that, even if you do get it to work
with a SAS card.

I wouldn't bother with SAS drives if it meant working with these limitations.

Current SAS3 supports 12Gbps per port (mine have 4 ports each). PCI slots don't
support anywhere near that bandwidth.

I would recommend upgrading to a more recent mainboard or just using SATA.

--
Joost