I want to do this manually, before automating it; "ifconfig -a" shows
eth0, and lo, and...

wlan0: flags=4098<BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 00:26:c6:4a:b4:92  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

  Next steps are to start wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli

[thimk][root][~] /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant start
 * Starting WPA Supplicant Daemon ...
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant                                   [ ok ]

[thimk][root][~] wpa_cli
wpa_cli v2.9
Copyright (c) 2004-2019, Jouni Malinen <j...@w1.fi> and contributors

This software may be distributed under the terms of the BSD license.
See README for more details.

Interactive mode

Could not connect to wpa_supplicant: (nil) - re-trying

  Even specifying "wpa_cli -i wlan0" fails.  The config files...

# /etc/conf.d/net
=================
config_eth0="dhcp"

modules="wpa_supplicant"
config_wlan0="dhcp"

# /etc/wpa_supplicant
# The below line not be changed otherwise wpa_supplicant refuses to work
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

# Ensure that only root can read the WPA configuration
ctrl_interface_group=0

# Let wpa_supplicant take care of scanning and AP selection
ap_scan=1

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>