On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 01:34:46AM +0000, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
> sure, smtp is older, but protocol age is
> irrelevant.
>
> right now http/2 is more developed and much more
> efficient (e.g. compressed binary, pipelining,
> single connection multiplexing, encryption by
> default).  even http1.4 was a more efficient
> replacement.

I don't think you fully understand Grant's point.  Whilst HTTP(/2) may  be  more
featureful for serving web pages, it  makes  absolutely  no  sense  to  use  for
anything but.  Protocol age  absolutely  _is  not_  irrelevant:  SMTP  has  been
ubiquitous in mail transportation for many years, and thus,  every  single  mail
client supports it pretty close to the RFC.  Moreover, as Grant mentioned in the
messages to and fro systems which, in most cases, differ quite vastly  in  every
element _except_ their understanding of SMTP.

Interoperability is the entire point of protocol standardisation  in  the  first
place, and if you're going to suggest a revision, or  complete  overhaul,  of  a
standard as well-understood as SMTP, you need to  provide  extremely  compelling
evidence which supports your proposed replacement.  So  far,  you  haven't  done
that.   SMTP  can  be  tricky  and  unwieldy  to  configure  on  certain  (most)
implementations, but that does not indicate a lack of  features.   The  complete
opposite, in fact.

With that said, if you'd like to  propose  a  standard  and  write  a  reference
implementation, that is how most new ideas in computing arise.   I  don't  think
anyone would attempt to stop you from doing that; we're merely  suggesting  that
your current idea of the HTTP-for-mail protocol is flawed.

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk

2A9A 4117