On 13/09/2020 11:17, Peter Humphrey wrote:
Morning all,

My ~amd64 system uses partitions 1 to 18 on /dev/nvme0n1, and it has two SATA
disks as well, for various purposes. Today, after I'd taken the system down
for its weekly backup (I tar all the partitions to a USB disk) and started up
again, invoking gparted to look around, libparted spat out a list of
partitions from 19 to 128 which, it said, "have been written but we have been
unable to inform the kernel of the change..."

I remerged gparted, parted, libparted and udisks, then booted another system
and ran fsck -f on all the partitions from 4 to 18 - those that this system
uses - and rebooted. No change - the same complaint from libparted.

I get a similar complaint about /dev/sda.

Those errors are repeated once.

Is this a terminal condition? I could repartition and restore from backup, but
I hope someone can offer a clue before I resort to that.

You're using the wrong tool to try and fix it. There's clearly something wrong with your partition TABLE, and you're using a tool that fixes the partition CONTENTS.

Use gparted (or gdisk) on the DISK, and that should sort things out. Check whether it thinks those partitions exist or not, and then get it to write a new partition table to clean things up.

Cheers,
Wol