No mount point on the minimal isos exists under /mnt where an installer
can temporarily mount another drive to copy output of errors or created
scripts that help them get around gentoo's installer limitations.
Earlier tonight I had been fighting with links since links insisted on
downloading an image rather than the stage3 file my cursor was located on
according to speakup.
I ended up putting the base url in a bash script along with an empty
download variable then using another computer to get the name of the
stage3 file and copying that into the download variable.  Then I ran the
script which used wget for the download.  My latest mistake was to try to
save that bash script since as soon as I left /mnt/gentoo everything on
/mnt/gentoo went away and all I was left with was a lost+found
subdirectory which was empty.
I at least still have the four partitions remaining on the gentoo disk.
It's also lucky I'm using drive sleds.  The decision to remove lynx from
the isos I think was not a good decision for screen reader users.  Now I'm
going to go back and repeat all of this stage3 download work and also
forget to save that bash script.