On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 09:23:29 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:

> I have nvidia-drivers installed. It has a dependency to
> virtual/linux-sources.
>
> The problem is it's always trying to pull in unstable packages when I
> have two slotted kernels in world:
>
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:5.4.48
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:5.4.66
>
> I tried masking kernels >5.5 but now it's trying to pull in unstable
> kernel 5.4.70.

Are you running ~arch globally? If so, the simple solution is to turn it
off for kernel-sources.

> I do not run unstable kernels, and have two stable kernels installed.
>
> Why is portage insistent on pulling in sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
> (non-slotted) when two slotted entries already exist?

Because it will always try to install the latest version that fits all
your requirements.

> I do not want to install unstable kernel sources as I don't use them
> and am trying to spare the thousands of unnecessary writes on my SSD.
> Whenever I update I check to see if there's a new stable kernel
> available manually and update to it if needed.

I too stick to stable sources, partly for the reason you give, partly to
avoid excessive reboots and partly because some systems use ZFS.

 % cat /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/kernel
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources -~amd64
sys-kernel/linux-headers -~amd64

Works for me.

--
Neil Bothwick

(A)bort, (R)etry, (P)retend this never happened...