Thanks Mickaël,

    I have onboard installed from an overlay (I have tried a couple of
different ones, they seem to be variants of the same original package)

How are you starting onboard? - the packages do not come with an
initscript or hooks into X that I can see (though they seem to depend on
systemd - I use openrc)

BillK