On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, Ashley Dixon wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 17:12:45
> From: Ashley Dixon <a...@suugaku.co.uk>
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what's wrong with my USE= statement in
>     /etc/portage/make.conf?
>
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 04:45:06PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > The ansifilter package won't build on this system yet.  Certainly one to
> > get in future though.
>
> I'll see if I can send you a binary off-list. It's not a particularly
> complicated package, so I reckon you should be able to run a pre-compiled
> executable without many issues.
>
> > I have a /etc/portage/package.use subdirectory containing zz-autounmask
> > file.
> > Do I need to append sys-auth/polkit elogind to the end of that
> > zz-autounmask file?
>
> If package.use is a directory, that's fine (and recommended). Every file in
> the
> directory, and any subdirectories, contains package.use entries, all
> concatenated together by Portage when processing. If you want, you could
> append
> the entry to zz-autounmask, but you could also do something more elegant:
>
>         /etc/portage/package.use $ mkdir sys-auth
>         /etc/portage/package.use $ echo "sys-auth/polkit elogind" >
> sys-auth/polkit

I hope the USE variable was entirely too rich.  I shortened it
considerably and saved the make.conf file so some duplicate work can be
speeded up.  I'm taking the system to bare metal and will use the
make.conf file I have without earlier steps that are causing several
packages to compile fail.
I will be curious if I get further this next time.
More later when I discover and I'll search ansifilter on other linux
flavors since that to my mind is a seriously useful program when handling
typescript files.