On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 1:58 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm hearing bad things about youtube-dl.  It seems the RIAA is punishing
> people who use it legally for those who don't.  Funny how the people who
> don't do anything wrong pays for the ones who do while the ones who do
> bad things get away.  Anyway.
>
> A good while back this list helped me set up the conf file for
> youtube-dl so that it grabs the best resolution up to 720P or 1280
> resolution videos.  I have no need for a 4K video.  lol  It seems
> something changed a while back and the options in the conf file produce
> a error.  From the error, I can't figure out what to change.  This is
> the error.
>

> ERROR: 'ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1280]+bestaudio/best' is not a
> valid URL. Set --default-search "ytsearch" (or run  youtube-dl
> "ytsearch:ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1280]+bestaudio/best" ) to
> search YouTube
>
> I'm using the normal youtube-dl <link to video> command.  No options or
> anything.  This is what I have in the conf file.
>

> --format

bestvideo[ext=webm][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/bestvideo[ext=mp4][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/best

> --merge-output-format mp4
>

> Those options worked for a long time so I guess something changed with
> youtube-dl.  I don't get why it says the options are a URL either.  When
> I google, I can't find where anyone is getting this error or using
> different options either, at least not to accomplish the same goal. I
> might add, my googling turned up the RIAA mess.  May have to donate to
> help fund lawyers.  :/
>
> Anyone know what to do to fix it?  I can't make heads or tails of it.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hi Dale,
   I don't use youtube-dl enough to offer any significant input but in my
limited experience the general way to handle this is to first determine
what formats are actually available and then to pick one of those by
number:

mark@science:~$ youtube-dl -F https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTOZIvyXPo
[youtube] byTOZIvyXPo: Downloading webpage
[youtube] byTOZIvyXPo: Downloading MPD manifest
[info] Available formats for byTOZIvyXPo:
format code  extension  resolution note
139          m4a        audio only DASH audio   52k , m4a_dash container,
mp4a.40.5@ 48k (22050Hz)
140          m4a        audio only DASH audio  132k , m4a_dash container,
mp4a.40.2@128k (44100Hz)
251          webm       audio only DASH audio  137k , webm_dash container,
opus @160k (48000Hz)
278          webm       192x144    DASH video   95k , webm_dash container,
vp9, 24fps, video only
160          mp4        192x144    DASH video  108k , mp4_dash container,
avc1.4d400b, 24fps, video only
242          webm       320x240    DASH video  220k , webm_dash container,
vp9, 24fps, video only
133          mp4        320x240    DASH video  242k , mp4_dash container,
avc1.4d400c, 24fps, video only
243          webm       480x360    DASH video  405k , webm_dash container,
vp9, 24fps, video only
134          mp4        480x360    DASH video  477k , mp4_dash container,
avc1.4d4015, 24fps, video only
244          webm       640x480    DASH video  752k , webm_dash container,
vp9, 24fps, video only
135          mp4        640x480    DASH video 1155k , mp4_dash container,
avc1.4d4014, 24fps, video only
18           mp4        480x360    360p  514k , avc1.42001E, 24fps,
mp4a.40.2@ 96k (44100Hz), 177.81MiB (best)
mark@science:~$

   Note that documentation for the --bestvideo/--bestaudio
options says that they 'may not be available'.

   In many cases I've had to transcode the download for
my purpose which is very much a corner case. I use them in a
program called transcribe! which figures out most likely guitar
fingering positions from audio content and when video is
available will play the video so you can see where the player
is actually placing his fingers vs what the program thinks
she's/he's doing.

   I suspect you might be able to script the youtube-dl and
transcode into a single batch file but that sort of stuff is generally
beyond me and I don't do it enough to warrant learning.

HTH,
Mark