On Friday, 30 October 2020 16:27:05 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

> I have a bigger problem.
> The apache 2.4 doesn't read configuration files.
> In apache2.conf I have:
>
> # Include the virtual host configurations:
> IncludeOptional sites-enabled/*.conf
>
> So it should read read every *config file in sites-enabled/
> In that directory I have:
>
> ll sites-enabled/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   35 Oct 27 21:15 000-default.conf ->
> ../sites-available/000-default.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3420 Oct 29 18:03 vhosts.conf

I have different configuration files, one for each website.  This makes it
easier to know where to look and what to edit when I want to make changes.

> vhosts.conf - define my web-site, but I commented everything out in that
> file (it is empty) and restarted apache:
> /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>
> And I can still display my web page.
> How is it possible???

I would assume it is possible to still display your website because the main
apache2.conf and/or ./sites-available/000-default.conf contain some default
settings which specify the DocumentRoot where your website filesystem resides.

Your approach to start from first principles by commenting out individual
configurations is sound, because you can check in this way what works and what
does not.