Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 22:56, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O
>> /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
>> chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
> This should work just fine, you just need to specify the path when you
> want to use it.
>
> Not sure how wise the following is, but you could also just put it
> directly in /usr/bin/ as well, and then it would continue to work as
> normal, and portage would update it when/if a new version is released.
>
> Regards,
> Arve

I finally got it installed in /usr/local/bin.  I get the same error.  I
removed all the video links but this is what I get when I put the
options on the command line itself with the conf file commented out
completely.

dale@fireball ~/Desktop/Videos/TV_Series/Midsomer_Murders $
/usr/local/bin/youtube-dl --format
'bestvideo[ext=webm,ext=mp4][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/best' <Lots of
video links that include HD versions>
ERROR: u'ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1280]+bestaudio/best' is not a
valid URL. Set --default-search "ytsearch" (or run  youtube-dl
"ytsearch:ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1280]+bestaudio/best" ) to
search YouTube
dale@fireball ~/Desktop/Videos/TV_Series/Midsomer_Murders $

Version info.

dale@fireball ~/Desktop/Videos/TV_Series/Midsomer_Murders $
/usr/local/bin/youtube-dl --version
2020.11.01.1
dale@fireball ~/Desktop/Videos/TV_Series/Midsomer_Murders $

So, latest version, doesn't like the conf file or the option on the
command line itself.  What next?  Is there a tiny typo in there or
something?

Dale

:-)  :-)