On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 9:38 AM Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:

> The sed editor might be helpful doing migrations from python 2.7 into
> python 3.  This would need a sed expert knowing both flavors of python to
> write those scripts though and I don't know if any of that was already
> done.

Nobody is forbidden from trying to fork broken packages whose
upstreams are dead and fixing them.  I'm sure there are tools to help
with migrations.

Stuff that ends up going away is probably unpopular enough or complex
enough that nobody can be bothered to do this.

However, if you want to take some v2-only package and fork the
upstream and make your only v3 package, Gentoo would have no policy
against having it in the repository.  You're just another upstream,
and plenty of stuff in the repository was forked from something else.

Sometimes Gentoo devs do the forking, but this is generally a matter
of personal interest like anything else.  It isn't a Gentoo policy to
prop up stuff with dead upstreams for some period of time.  A product
like RHEL might be a better choice if that is what you're into, but
obviously going that route has its cons as well as its pros, and I'm
sure like with most commercial products the more money you spend the
more of an ear you get with the engineering team.

--
Rich