On 11/22/2020 06:16 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 2020.11.22 20:09, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

>> > If you have cloned each partition from the old to the new disk, then
>> the new
>> > disk should work exactly as the old disk does.  I mean, it should
>> have the
>> > same kernel, the same / filesystem, the same modules, etc.
>> >
>> > Since the new disk is an nvme drive, you will need additional
>> drivers - should
>> > these not be available in the old kernel.

>> error:

>> > Do you have both disks connected to the MoBo when you're trying to
>> boot from
>> > the new disk?
>>
>> Yes, they are both connected
>>
>> > Have you changed the UUIDs on the new partitions?
>>
>> Never used UUID in fstab. Do I just run: blkid|grep UUID
>> and copy it to fstab.
>>
>> > Have you installed the boot manager on the new disk (if using MBR)?
>>
>> I just copied the whole MBR to a new disk and it worked, the system
>> boots, but nothing can be compiled.
> I would confirm that you are really booted from the new disk and not the
> old one.  It is possible that the MBR from the new disk was used to
> boot, but if /etc/fstab says /boot is mounted from /dev/sda1 then that
> does seem wrong.  I almost always put an empty file in the root of each
> partition named for the disk/partition just so I can be sure what's
> actually mounted.  Is /etc/fstab identical on both disks?  What does
> fstab say about where / is mounted from?

You are absolutely correct.  I was booting the whole time the Western
Digital (old drive). :-/  My mistake, once I removed the WD drive the
new M.2 SSD doesn't even boot.
I think the easiest way would be to re-install the Getnoo from scratch
and dig out the old programs I need from "attic".  Mixing/moving SSD
(sda) and M2.2 (nvme0n1) and transferring partitions might not be as easy.