Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 13:51:26 -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>> If UUID is something you don't want to spend time learning right now,
>> try using labels at least.  Just make sure YOU use unique labels for
>> each one.  Hint.  home-old, home-new works pretty well at times.  At
>> least you know it is home and which is old and which is new.  Notes may
>> help too.  ;-)
> I agree on labels, they are far more readable. But I'm starting to think
> that duplicating partitions like this is asking for trouble. I think it
> would be better to create the partitions and filesystems you want on the
> new disk, then mount both and copy everything over with rsync. That was
> you won't get any conflicting UUIDs and you can set filesystem or
> partition labels as you see fit.

Way back when I kept outgrowing the disk I had the OS installed on, that
is what I did.  I booted from a CD/DVD.  I created the new partitions
and such.  I then created /mnt/old and /mnt/new.  I mounted the
partitions under the correct one, creating directories for boot, usr,
var etc as needed on the new disk.  Once all was mounted, I used cp -av
/mnt/old* /mnt/new/ to copy things over.  Today, I'd likely use rsync
tho.  If I had to interrupt the process, add the -u option.  That worked
then but not sure about now.

I'd think UUIDs are always unique.  I guess there is a 1 in a billion
chance of a duplicate but doubtful it would be ran into by many. If
nothing else, labels work as long as unique names are used.  Using sda,
sdb, sdc etc tho is a problem waiting for something bad to happen.
Heck, nowadays one can even change the order drives are seen in the
BIOS.  I'm not sure about EFI stuff.  I can make what is sda look like
sdb without ever taking the side off my puter case or unhooking
anything.  Using labels or UUIDs eliminate that problem.

In a way, things are more complicated.  Thing is, if one uses UUIDs, and
only them, it's really pretty simple.  Copy and paste helps tho.  One
wouldn't want a typo.  lol  Of course, if one is careful, labels work
just as well.

Dale

:-)  :-)