Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> I got a message from him.  At least we will know he is OK.  All his
>> machines was switched to Arch Linux and he wasn't using Gentoo anymore.
>> So, he unsubscribed and got active with Arch.
>> Miss the guy but glad he is OK and nothing happened to him.
>> Dale
>> :-)  :-)
> When I sent this message the first time, I inadvertently forgot the Subject:
> line, hence this repeat sending.  Sorry!
>
> When you mentioned the other Allan, I thought of Allan Gottlieb, who used to
> be on Gentoo list.
>
> I think he was younger than me by two or three months?
>
> I believe he is the same Allan Gottlieb I met years ago at The Rockefeller
> University when he was an (assistant? associate?) professor at CUNY in New
> York City.
>
> I don't know if he is still living.
>
> Regarding Arch, I believe Arch Linux is mainly binary-based, rather than
> source-based as is the case with Gentoo.
>
> In May 2013, I joined Arch Linux emailing lists, asked the question about how
> an Arch system could be updated by building from source, as can be done with
> FreeBSD and NetBSD.
>
> Moderator rejected that message, stating that if I looked through the wiki, I
> could find the answer inside ten minutes, which I couldn't.
>
> FreeBSD, NetBSD and Gentoo emailing lists are not so hostile!
>
> Not wanting to feel so tongue-tied, I unsubscribed and became an infant
> mortality on the Arch emailing lists.
>
> This was the first and only open-source OS or distro that I rejected on
> sociological grounds.
>
> Tom

Yea, there is some good folks on this list.  Everyone tries to help in
different ways.  If one way isn't working, someone posts a alternative
method.  Some, myself included, get upset at software sometimes tho.
Dare I mention hal??  The -user list has always been friendly.  The -dev
list is much better now but way back, it was like walking in a field of
land mines.  At one point, I unsubbed from -dev because it was more
about people going after each other than accomplishing anything.  Now, I
monitor it again to see what is coming around the next bend.  It's a
MUCH friendlier place now.

I was referring to Alan McKinnon.  If he even thought he had a solution,
he'd post it.  Most of the time, it was a good option.  The biggest
thing, I'm just glad he is OK.

Dale

:-)  :-)