On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:20:26 +0100
n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:

> /Is there  a fundamental goals issue here, when there's so much
> incompatibility between python3_{6,7,8,9}?  Do  packages really need
> to care?  Are these versions so fundamentally different from each
> other, and programmers rely on those differences?  Or, is this
> somebody's orderliness tic?/

This bothers me too as a developer.  I have created and maintain small
python program.  The program itself requires almost no maintenance and
as far as I remember it has been compatible with any Python 3 version
since 3.2. The only thing that needs constant maintenance is the ebuild
where a list of exact Python versions have to be updated with each new
major Python release:

PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_{6..9} )

It is not even possible to "outsmart" it with 'python3_{6..255}' or
something similar to be future proof.

I do not know the reasoning for such handling of Python in Gentoo.
Maybe I am oversimplifying it but I'd expect that specifying
dependencies to Python will be simple as any other.  Something like:

RDEPEND=">=dev-lang/python:3"

Why this is not the standard and recommended way?

Robert

--
Róbert Čerňanský
E-mail: ope...@tightmail.com