On 11/01/21 04:06, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 1/10/21 3:46 PM, antlists wrote:
>> And a little bit you might have missed - DON'T put root's home on a mounted
>> disk - if it's currently in /home, move it to /. Don't forget to edit
>> /etc/passwd if you have to move it.
>
> Can I use "nano" to edit /etc/password file
> all I need to change is the
> user:x:1000:1000::/home/user:/bin/bash
>
> to:
> user:x:1000:1000::/mnt/home/user:/bin/bash
>
> Or I need to use:  "vipw -s"

No - if you follow my suggestion you don't need to change anything. Just
make sure, before you wipe your old install you know which user numbers
are used for "user" - here it's 1000, and "thelma" if you've got a user
called thelma.

What I was worried about was you might have a line

0:x:0:0::/home/root:/bin/bash

What THAT line should be is

0:x:0:0::/root:/bin/bash

but it probably already is. You seem to be confusing the root user and
yourself - you need to get that straight in your head because if you
don't you're likely to give yourself some nasty shocks.

Cheers,
Wol