Hello,

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>On 1/17/21 2:04 PM, David Haller wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> I have in a new machine (as on all other boxes) in make.conf
>>> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with
>>> notice"
>> [..]
>>> Which file define "${HOST}"
>>
>> ==== /etc/hosts ====
>> [..]
>> # IP-Address  Full-Qualified-Hostname  Short-Hostname
>>
>> 127.0.0.1       syscon3.domain.tld       syscon3 localhost
>> ::1             syscon3.domain.tld       syscon3 localhost
>> ====
>
>THANK YOU! It is working.
>Does placement of the name make a difference?
>eg:
>127.0.0.1       syscon3.domain.tld       syscon3 localhost
>
>vs.
>127.0.0.1       localhost  syscon3  syscon3.domain.tld

Yes. That's why I quoted the comment that the FQDN has to be first.

You can check with:

$ hostname
$ hostname -f

The former must give the short name ("syscon3"), the second one the FQDN
("syscon3.domain.tld").

HTH,
-dnh

--
>Wow, and everyone swears [Python]'s better than Perl. Wait, you don't say
>it's worse, never mind.                                          -- Satya
The axis on which Perl sits is rotated 90 degrees with respect to the
rest of language-goodness-space.                        -- Garrett Wollman