ср, 17 февр. 2021 г. в 13:50, gevisz <gev...@gmail.com>:

> ср, 17 февр. 2021 г. в 04:54, Edward <edwardmgibso...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > On 2/15/21 9:53 AM, gevisz wrote:
> > > Yesterday, my relatively new install of Gentoo failed to boot with the
> > > following repeated messages:
> > >
> > > ata5.04: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
> > > ata5.04: hard resetting link
> > > ata5.04: failed to resume link (SStatus 0 Scontrol 0)
> > >
> > > My first thought was that something is wrong with my old IDE (ATA)
> > > drive. (The Gentoo system partition was on /dev/sda5.)
> >
> > What motherboard model is this?
>
> It is a good question. My motherboard is Gigabyte Ultra Durable
> GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
> and I had problems with it from the very beginning in the sense that it is
> quite often doesn't see my SATA disks on the first boot (though, on the second
> reboot it usually finds them). It is also quite often that it stops booting
> the legacy operating system and automatically reboots before showing
> a login screen.
>
> I bought it somewhere in 2006 together with a Gigabyte S-series GA-MA69GM-S2H
> motherboard, which I have been intensively using every day since then and
> never
> had any problem.
>
> In contrast, the Ultra Durable one has been used very rarely and for
> quite short periods of time.
> So, I do not expect it to wear off by now.
>
> > Probably BIOS disk controller setting needs to be set to either SATA AHCI
> > or something else?
>
> Well, I will look into but the problem is that it worked previously
> with the same BIOS settings.
>
> Below is an account of what I have done so far.
>
> First of all, I copied the system partition from my ATA to the SATA
> drive, updated the system,
> recompiled @system, openrc and gentoo-kernel, which unfortunately had
> no effect on the booting problem.
>
> At this stage, I started to seriously consider the suggestions above
> that it may be a hardware problem.
>
> So, I returned to the initial ATA system partition, updated the system
> there, switched off swap (in fstab),
> reinstalled grub on this disk and tried to boot from it. To my great
> surprise it failed to boot again
> complaining about links to two my SATA drives that it was not supposed
> to use at all!

Correction:
Of course, in this case, I have not reinstalled gentoo-kernel.
So, it may be that the links to my SATA drives are still in
the initramfs that was created before. (The swap was one of my
SATA drives.)

However, I used another SATA drive to try the system from there
(with swap on it) with the same failure to boot.

> And the legacy operating system has absolutely no problem starting
> from the ATA drive now.

P.S. Currently, I am going to remove my SATA disks from the system and
try to reboot it once again. If it will not help, I am going to recompile
gentoo-kernel on the only remaining ATA disk. (And, if that will not help,
I will look for the hammer. :)