On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 18:52:50 -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:

> > > Q: Is there no way to have a consistent version of Python on
> > >    the system?
> >
> > Yes, make sure PYTHON_TARGETS and your chosen version of python
> > match.
>
> Q: How do I know which verson of python is suitable?
>
> I never deal with the language... last I saw was some news that
> turn off the targets would be preferable. Is there some real
> advantage to targets vs target (i.e., at this point is it reasonable
> to just have a single target)?

In that case, you had no reason to use eselect to switch away from the
default. Switch back to 3.8 with eselect and all should be well - at
least after an emerge -auDN @world

> I'm still not sure, however, why a module installed with python 3.8
> would leave portage disfunctional if that version were selected.

That does seem odd, were any dependent modules also installed for 3.8.

--
Neil Bothwick

Documentation: (n.) a novel sold with software, designed to entertain the
               operator during episodes of bugs or glitches.