Thanks for stepping in Dale. Yes, I was thinking /bar/log/messages or
something similar.

 If the machine was completely hung then no disk activity probably means a
big jump in the times logged and should make it somewhat easier to find the
last stuff written.

Please excuse the top posting. I'm on my phone with limited editing
capabilities in GMail.

Good luck