On 10/31/05, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:35:26 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> >    What Gentoo email list is best for Mac Mini questions? Is that the
> > gentoo-ppc list or something else?
>
> Questions specific to PPC hardware go to gentoo-ppc, CPU-independent
> questions belong here. gentoo-ppc is very quiet.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Mike and Neil,
   Thanks for the response. Since that list is quiet right now I'll
try here first. It's not specifically a PPC question but more about
the way  an Apple boots.

   I have a new Mac Mini and I'm learning about OS X. One fun thing is
that the Ardour folks have written ports for Jack (called jackosx) and
Ardour so I can actually run Ardour under OS X with X11 support. Cool.

   The second cool thing that I love about Apple is their ability to
boot from external drives. I've built a second copy of OS X on an
external 1394 drive and can boot from that instead of the internal
drive. Very cool.

   My question is whether I can put Gentoo on the external drive and
get Apple's Open Firmware to boot Gentoo. I do not really want to put
Gentoo on the internal drive, at least right now. I'd love to be able
to use an external drive to boot to Gentoo instead of OS X.

   Can this be done?

Thanks,
Mark