>My biggest problem with Gentoo was not so much the time needed to
>compile huge ebuilds like Firefox, Thunderbird, or Chromium, but that
>say if you neglected doing updates for a while and then decided to start
>again, then you'd have serious problems.  This is because, at least the
>way I understood it, after some time old ebuilds would get deleted from
>the Portage servers to conserve space there, but some of those now
>deleted ebuilds would still be needed as dependencies to do iterative
>updates.  The sure-way to resolve this problem would be to re-emerge the
>whole @world set, which of course would take way-longer than just
>Firefox, and might work differently because the '/etc/' configuration
>schema might have changed.
>
>In my case I had some weird problem either emerging some ebuild or
>keeping an old version of an ebuild to keep the functionality or the
>'/etc/' schema removed in the new versions.  I just let things sit, and
>moved on to other projects.  But when later on I tried to go back to the
>original issue, I had even more trouble because now I was even further
>behind @world, and more ebuilds would not upgrade because of deleted
>dependencies.
>
>So to sum it up, my problem with Gentoo was that you could not just do
>iterative updates after long periods of inactivity.  You pretty much had
>to emerge daily and if you had some problem then drop everything and fix
>it right away, or else you'll fall even further behind and eventually
>might have to rebuild @world.  And so because constant attention
>intervention and trial and error was required you could not just compile
>huge ebuilds overnight and go about your life during the day.

It's funny how different two people can perceive the same thing.

One of the very reason I like Gentoo is the fact that I *don't* have to do
daily, or even weekly updates. I'm rather busy with life right now and I just
love how little love Gentoo requires to work, and how reliable it is. I have
never had any issues with postponing updates for longer periods of time.

--
Hund