On 08/07/2021 02:18, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:09:17 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

So far, so good. But when I ran "emerge @module-rebuild", which
rebuilds these two packages:

    app-emulation/vmware-modules
    x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers

The vmwware and nvidia kernel modules got deleted from
/lib/modules/5.10.47-gentoo.

This is bad. When did this change? How can I prevent this from
happening?

Hasn't this always been the case. emerging a package removes files
installed by the previous merge.

I think adding /lib/modules to CONFIG_PROTECT will prevent their
deletion.

I just tried that after "eselect kernel set 1" and rebuilding modules, and it doesn't help.

I am quite sure the modules were not uninstalled in my old system. It could be that I had to set some option somewhere, but I don't remember :-/